Yep I'm a nerd. I embrace it. hey, I didn't spend that much time craming Greek and Hebrew in my head not to use it for important things, like unlocking meaning in the very word of God or coming up with cool blog names.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

writing week

Kate Turabian is the devil. Seriously. There has never been a more complicated, less intuitive and insidiously wide spread format for documenting papers EVER. And besides that Turabianites (Turabian knights as they are also called, mainly by me) can't even agree with how to update the bleeding thing for websites and online journals. AND can any one tell me WHY the first footnote format is different from the Bibliography format? And the most contentious point, to me at least, is the placement of the commas. They put freaking commas everywhere, they SNEEZE commas onto the page at seemingly random intervals, and woe to you if you should put a period instead of a comma, the scroll is burned. I feel the pain of the Masoretes. I also am suffering from way too many Turabian nights spent tediously formatting. SEE! See what she has reduced me to! PUNS for crying out loud! What a world, what a world.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Brain's rants about that woman. What do you imagine she looks like? I always see a wizend and frail white haired English teacher who thrives on correcting things...
I cannot imagine Kate as a young woman, laughing and playing. I assume she was a very serious child who did things like put her toys in alphabetical order and spent time counting and categorizing the household canned goods for fun.

8:35 PM

 
Blogger windy said...

i'm thinking something in the range of the wicked witch of the west except possibly with a white bun pulled so tight her lips blinked. probably retaining the green skin. as a child i imagine she tortured small animals by making them proof the discertains she forced out of the family dog, gleefully cackling at their loose grasp of inter-species punctuation and wielding a giant red crayon sharpened to a razor point.

7:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - figured I'd ask before I forgot. What's the address for that Turabian tool you found?

7:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home