Yep I'm a nerd. I embrace it. hey, I didn't spend that much time craming Greek and Hebrew in my head not to use it for important things, like unlocking meaning in the very word of God or coming up with cool blog names.

Monday, May 15, 2006

letter to the ancient Israelites

Dear Ancient Israelites,

When I finish my work on time travel, I have a few thoughts for you to keep in mind as you develop as a society:

What is the deal with Hebrew? Are you too good for vowels? Or do you really speak in a series of clicks and phlegm hocking sounds and those crafty Masoretes just put in vowels later to fool us? Did you have too much time on your hands while wandering around the near east, was there an abundance of free-time in you sustenance societies that you sat around and came up with the most complicated language as a challenge to fill up the hours, a party game?

I think you may be taking this whole "three letter" thing a little too far. You may think it handy to use the same three letters to mean "dirt" and "to throw dirt" with a nifty switch-a-roo with some vowel dots, but it makes translating a bit of an issue for us non-dot savvy types. especially when some of the same letter combos have nothing to do with each other like "goat" and "strength" unless there is a correlation there that I am unaware of. (super goats, eating a swath through the land?)

you might also want to consider making your letters not look so much like each other. because really "to defile" looks strikingly like "to praise" and since you haven't developed moveable type, this could lead to some REALLY embarrassing translation gaffs with the slip of a pen. might want to look into that.

Finally, I totally get the whole pastoral society thing, but 6 words for cows? I think you might be over doing it a bit. I mean really, at least make one mean "spotted cow", or "funny looking cow" or something. And along the lines of funny looking cow, what is the deal with the word that means "cow" AND "crocodile" eh? Near-sighted scribes, hallucinogenic mold in the bread? You might want to avoid that little slip becoming a permanent part of the language.

Thank you, Ancient Israelites for you time and kind consideration of a humble a harrassed student of you language. Oh, and as a tip, watch out for the Babylonians.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Frank,

The Copenhagen School has asked us to remind you that we never existed. All of those words that look like other words were just a joke for your future amusement.

Hope you enjoyed them as much as we would have.

Thanks for the tip about the Babylonians. We'll have to talk to our friends at the Copenhagen School to see if they ever existed either.

Sincerely,
The Ancient Israelites

9:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Windy,

I really enjoyed this post. It's kind of funny to me that despite these issues, I like Hebrew much better than Greek, but even so, I have to laugh. Boy, I wish I had known about this blog when we were actually in Hebrew!!!

4:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home